Liver is one of the most important organs of our body. It plays major role of detoxifying, chemical production which further helps in digestion of food etc. As per a report, liver is also one of the most common organs to get transplanted and we have best liver transplantation in India. There can be various reasons behind liver transplantation like damaged liver, partial working or diseased one etc. Before moving any further in the discussion, let’s discuss what liver transplantation is.
Liver transplantation is basically a surgery in which diseased or damaged liver is removed from the body and is replaced with a healthy liver which is donated by a donor. This is an end stage treatment for liver diseases. Liver transplantation is a complex surgery which can take hours to perform and is done by highly trained and designated physicians and medical teams.
As discussed earlier, liver transplantation is treatment for end stage disease. So what diseases cause liver transplantation are discussed below.
- Chronic (end stage liver diseases)- Diseases like Overlap syndrome, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Biliary Atresia etc. are chronic diseases. Their only treatment is transplantation of damaged/diseased liver with a new one because these diseases are regarded as the end stage disease of liver.
- Liver specific genetic diseases- There are causes like Cystic Fibrosis Liver Disease, Tyrosinemia, Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency, Urea cycle disorders, OTC deficiency, MSUD, Hyperoxaluria etc. which cause chronic failure of the liver and some of the causes also cause damage to other organs of the body like Brain. So there only treatment left is transplantation.
- Liver tumors- Hepatoblastoma, Embryonal sarcoma, Hemangioendothelioma, Hepatocellular Carcinoma etc. can be the other reasons for the transplantation of liver in the body.
- Acute liver failures- other reasons for liver transplantation can be the acute liver failures. This category includes diseases like viral hepatitis, Hepatic Drug toxicity, Genetic /Metabolic diseases: Wilsons disease, fatty acid oxidation defects, some mitochondrial disorders, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Neonatal Hemochromatosis etc.
After discussing the causes that leads to the transplantation of liver, let discuss the types of liver transplantations treatment that are available and suggested by doctor to their patients on the basis of type of disease and the condition of the liver. They are as follows-
- Split liver transplant- In this; liver from the dead body is divided with the blood flowing from it and transplanted in the patient’s body. This method has the potential to increase the number of livers e double the number of patients can be benefitted from a single liver.
- Relative’s donated liver- In this; a portion of the relative’s liver is transplanted in the child’s body.
- Reduced liver transplant- In this technique, a portion of dead body’s liver is removed and transplanted in child’s body. Children have good chances of receiving that liver without much trouble.
- Whole liver transplant- this is the very first technique of liver transplantation in which whole and a healthy liver is taken from the corpse and is transplanted to the patient’s body.
These are the techniques that are being used to cure and treat liver problems. The liver transplantation cost varies with the type of techniques the doctors adopt. So people suffering from any kind of such problem and are looking for the best treatment can go and consult their doctor.