If you are a person who keeps track of the car detailing industry then you would have seen that there has been a boom in the usage of microfiber cloth for cleaning. This boom has been exploited by most manufacturers, which has made selecting a microfiber cloth for car detailing or washing a challenging task. However, an experienced customer could find the best microfiber cloth for cleaning a car with ease as they know exactly what to look for. If you are not experienced, then the list of factors mentioned below would help you select the best microfiber cloth for cleaning or detailing your car.
- Not all microfiber cloths are the same –
The first thing that you should understand about car microfiber cloth is that all of them are not the same. There are different types of microfiber cloths available on the market today. Each of them is designed for a specific type of cleaning purpose. This is one of the main reasons why you should carefully consider the factors mentioned below.
- Type of microfiber cloths –
As of today, there are 5 different types of microfiber towels designed to serve the same or different purposes. Here is everything you need to know about each type of microfiber towel.
This type of microfiber towel is best for cleaning non-sensitive and non-delicate surfaces. However, we recommend this microfiber cloth only for rough cleaning. If you want a microfiber cloth for cleaning the polished surface of the car, then avoid short pile type microfiber cloth.
- Medium pile –
A medium pile type of microfiber cloth could come in three different variants.
- Standard medium pile – this type of medium pile microfiber is best for applying as well as removing car waxes. Some of the premium quality standard medium pile microfiber cloth is best for buffing your car.
- Plush medium – this type of medium pile microfiber is best for ultra-delicate surfaces, for example, highly polished chrome trims, rear, and front glass, etc.
- Medium-long pile – this type of medium pile microfiber cloth is best for cleaning the interior of the car except for the polished surface.
- Long pile –
This type of microfiber cloth is the best option for buffing and to wipe clean the car surface to remove water. Yes, long pile microfiber cloths come with a high absorption feature, which means, after washing the car, you could use a long pile type microfiber cloth to wipe and dry the surface.
- Waffle weave pile –
Waffle weave pile microfiber cloths are designed in such a way that it could be used to clean reflective surfaces, glass, and mirrors.
- Applicator pile –
As the name itself suggests, this type of microfiber cloth is best for applying wax, sealant, glaze, etc. remember not to use this type of microfiber cloth for cleaning purposes.
- If the manufacturer does not mention the type of microfiber, then consider the GSM or blend value.
- Short pile – 80/20 blend and around 220 to 250 GSM.
- Medium pile –
- Standard medium pile – 75/25 blend and around 360 GSM
- Medium plush pile – 75/25 blend and above 600 GSM
- Medium-long pile – 75/25 blend and around 400 GSM
- Long pile – 70/30 blend and around 600 GSM
- Waffle weave pile – 80/20 blend and around 350 GSM
- Applicator pile – 70/30 blend and around 350 GSM